Re: map tag - xhtml validator

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:40:31 -0700
To: John Campbell <Jcampbel@co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

scripsit John Campbell:

> last week I ran one of the pages I'm working on:
> http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/erm/home.htm
> and was able to get a no errors xhtml 1.0 transitional approved mark.

> This week it's telling me I can't have my map tags.  the exact wording
> of the problem is this:

> "Error: element "map" not allowed here; check which elements this
> element may be contained within "

> and last I checked "map" was allowed in xhtml. any assistance in what
> the probelm is? Thanks

<map> is certainly allowed in XHTML, both Transitional and Strict.  It
is not, however, allowed to be a child of <table>.  For Transitional,
you can just close the table immediately before you open the <map>
element.  For Strict it would need to be put inside a block-level
container of some kind -- a <div> works nicely.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul