Re: target attribute of anchor tags

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:18:46 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Daniel Terry <rrowv@usa.net>

Daniel Terry <rrowv@usa.net> wrote:

>When validating a page I was working on last night, I noticed
>something a little odd.  My page (
>http://www.cs.iupui.edu/~dsterry/n307/index.html ) validates fine on
>HTML 4.01 - Strict except the TARGET attribute of any anchor tags I
>used.  I realize it will validate under HTML 4.01 - Transitional with
>the TARGET attributes there, but it seems odd to me that such a basic
>thing does not conform to the standards.

You've gotten several replies to this, but I think the most constructive
answer would be: "Talk to those who make the standards."  The Validator
simply enforces those standards and hence it is nominally off-topic to
discuss it here. More to the point though, you would get a far more
authorative answer on the www-html@w3.org list.

I would also urge those who feel strongly about this issue to join the
public-evangelist@w3.org mailinglist; set up under the auspices of the W3C
Quality Assurance activity and meant to facilitate effective communication
on exactly these issues (a wider mandate then the WAI).

"Allright... Calm down! Relax! Start breathin´..."         -- Dr. D.R.E.