Re: target attribute of anchor tags

scripsit Philip TAYLOR [PC87S/O-XP]:

> Thanasis Kinias wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > If you are in the United States, you also have Federal civil rights
> > legislation (the Americans with Disabilities Act) to consider.  Forcing
> > the opening of new browser windows is disorienting and confusing to
> > blind users relying on screen readers, Braille displays, and similar
> > adaptive technology.  Using such a technique unecessarily is illegally
> > discriminatory against people with disabilities.
>
> Oh, come on : I'm totally in favour of  "accessibility for all", but
> if that means that (e.g.) Windows users would be forced to use an
> interface in which each application opened (by default) in the same
> window as any previously open application, and that such users would
> be forced to right-click and select "Open application in new window",
> then I think the world would have come to a pretty sorry state.

No one's saying that.  It's a UI standard that each program instance has
its own window.  In this case, the user knows that when he opens an app,
he gets a new window, and if he wants to minimize window proliferation
he'll kill one app before opening the next.  It the Free software world,
BTW, there are alternative window managers that do just what you're
suggesting (the names escape me at the moment), but in Microsoft's world
you're stuck with what they give you.

As I mentioned in my other post, this is a bit OT but feel free to mail
me off-list.

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul