Re: subject and message

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 17:37:10 -0700
To: hamilton cline <hamiltondraws@hotmail.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
scripsit hamilton cline:
> when i had my page basically done it validated out w3c compliant.  but as
> i've added more things to it, i've run into some snags.  the two that i
> can't seem to get around are on my aim and email links.  you validator does
> not acknowledge the subject tag on my email link or the message tag on my
> aim:goim link.  both do their job in IE6 and NS6 ... though opera5 didn't
> seem to like my aim link.  is this something that can be updated or am i out
> of luck?
> >Line 164, column 50:  ... 6;&#99;&#111;&#109;?body=make me something
> >pretty&subject=businessops" ...
> >                                                       ^Error: unknown
> >entity "subject"
> >Line 166, column 35:  ... a
> >href="aim:goim?screenname=habycl&message=make+me+something ...
> >                                        ^Error: unknown entity "message"

Your problem is the ampersands in the hrefs.  In the first example, you
have `. . . pretty&subject=businessops' -- `&subject' is a reference to
an entity called `subject', in the same way that `&amp;' is a reference
to an ampersand and `&quot;' a reference to a quotation mark.  If
instead you use `&amp;subject' (and `&amp;message' for the AIM link),
you should be fine.

NS and IE both have extensive error-correction code, which is why they
understand such invalid href values as the above; that doesn't diminish
the invalidity of the code, however.

Now, whether `aim' is a valid protocol for a URL, I'm not going to
venture to say, and AFAIK has no bearing on the validity of the HTML
. .  .  but that's probably why Opera doesn't like that particular link.

Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology
Graduate Student, Department of History
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona, U.S.A.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul