Re: New version of Quality Tips for Webmaster

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:39:12 -0700
To: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Cc: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
scripsit Terje Bless:
> Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com> wrote:
> >Thank you, Karl. ;)  Maybe I should have mentioned that I've given
> >seminars on WCAG with valid HTML/CSS, so I'm pretty familiar with the
> >distinction.
> Speaking of which, do we still fails as miserably to be accessible as we
> used to? I'm little by little aproaching the stage where I feel there is
> any use to soliciting accessability review of the site and anything I can
> catch beforehand is a definite advantage.

I certainly would not say ``miserably''!  I haven't done an exhaustive
evaluation, but there sure don't seem to be any Priority 1 or 2
problems.  I just ran it on Bobby [1] and the only specific complaints
Bobby had were priority 3, mostly of the ``until user agents...'' type,
which aren't so much a problem now than in 1999.  A very easy fix would
be to add lang="en" and xml:lang="en" to the document (<html>) element.

Adding <acronym> markup would take care of another, and is pretty easy
to do on static HTML files with a script or whatever (e.g.,
s#XHTML#<acronym title="eXtensible HyperText Markup
Language">XHTML</acronym>#g).  In my Perl CGIs, I just define
file-scoped scalars holding the acronym expansions, then use
double-quote interpolation to put the acronym expansions into strings.

my $HTML = '<acronym title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</acronym>';
print $q->p("$HTML is the markup language used for Web pages.");

> I like to think that Validator performs well in anything from Lynx, through
> Netscape 4.x, and up to MSIE/Mozilla of later revisions. It does this by
> withholding CSS from Netscape 4.x (dull but functional) and being pragmatic
> about structure to make sure everyone gets something usable. All tricks to
> achieve "prettyness" are in CSS (*not* in the structure) so CSS browsers
> get them and everyone else just gets the meat.

Hurray for Strict!  I haven't been able to get people to accept Strict
yet around here...there are too may folks using NS4 that want
pixel-perfect graphical layout.  I would dearly love to put something
like the ``Why does this page render badly?'' note on my work, but I'd
offend important people.

Heck, sometimes I have to consider it a victory when we don't lock up
the navigation with Java or JavaScript.

Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology
Graduate Student, Department of History
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona, U.S.A.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul