Re: New version of Quality Tips for Webmaster

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:25:09 -0700
To: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org, karl@w3.org
scripsit Olivier Thereaux:

> Another idea : put the "tip of the day box", with a distinct color (but
> not too violent, e.g some gentle green) above the form.
> I'm certain some people would recommend to "never put anything before
> the form", but remember most of "tip of the day" boxes pop up before you
> can actually use the sofware. I'm not sure if it's good or bad, your
> choice.

As someone who uses the Validator quite a lot, and who also uses Lynx, I
would say that anything added before the `This Page Is Valid' text would
reduce the useability of the Validator.  When one does a lot of
validation, having to scroll to find out whether the page is valid is
very inconvenient.

With Lynx, it's even more inconvenient, because not much fits on a
typical 25 line terminal.  With the current :8001 configuration, the
navitation stuff (that CSS would put on the right-hand side) takes up
almost the full screen in a 25 line terminal.  Thanks for the 'skip
navigation' link, BTW!

Of course, if the `This Page Is Valid' text were moved to the top, right
under the <h1>, the arrangement of the whole rest of the page would be
less imporatant in this respect.

Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology
Graduate Student, Department of History
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona, U.S.A.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul