Re: align="justify" and noshade="true"

On 04/17/2002 at 10:09, jimdrake@bluesphraks.cjb.net (James Drake <bluesphraks.cjb.net>) wrote:

>   I would like to point out a couple of problems with your xhtml
>   validator and/or your w3schools website.

Note that the w3schools.com website is NOT a W3C product whereas the
validator is.

> at this url:
>
> _ http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/attr_hr.asp _
> it states that the 'noshade' attribute of the <hr /> tag can have values of true
> or false.

The w3schools.com site is incorrect. The only acceptabl value for the
noshade attribute is "noshade".

> at the following url it says that it should be noshade="noshade":
>
> _ http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www27.brinkster.com/stemgruppe/cv/ _

The validator is correct.

> also, at this url:
>
> _ http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/attr_p.asp _
> it states that values possible for the 'align' attribute in the <p> tag can be
> left, right, center or justify. but when an xhtml page containing <p
> align="justify"> is validated it says that the align attribute can only have
> values of left, right or center:
>
> _ http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www27.brinkster.com/stemgruppe/cv/ _

The validator is correct. the align attribute is defined in the DTD as
taking values defined as textAlign and these are (left|right|center).

> in both cases which is correct, the w3schools wensite or the validator. are
> noshade="true" and align="justify" valid xhtml or not?

In general the validator can be assumed to be correct on issues such as
this since it is DTD driven. When in doublt, check the DTD and don't
rely on third party information sites which are frequently incorrect.

Hope this helps.

Chris (no a W3C product either ;-)