invalid html produced by validator

From: Mark Rose <shifted@shifted.ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 19:36:26 -0400 (EDT)
To: "www-validator@w3.org" <www-validator@w3.org>
Hello

I decided to get the validator to check itself when it returned an error, and it failed. The following should be enough to show where the error occurs:

    Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with
    an SGML parser.
      I could not parse this document, because it uses a public identifier that
      is not in my <a href="/sgml-lib/catalog">catalog</a>.

The problem is the extraneous <ul> tag.

Mark Rose
shifted.ca