Re: Validating HTML2.0

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 02:52:28 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
Michael Bowen <fizzbowen@mindspring.com> wrote:

>At 17:03 2002/04/07, Kai Lahmann wrote:
>>hi which DOCTYLE does the Validator accept for HTML 2.0 ? <!DOCTYPE
>>html PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN"> << set is I set it manually
>>(!) in the Validator gives error <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD
>>HTML 2.0//EN"> << also Error

The FPI "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN" should work. Do you have an URI that we
could check to test this?

>I think that the DOCTYPE syntax requires specification of the URI
>(quoted) of the DTD file following the name of the DTD.

Nope. The URI following the FPI is really just a "System Identifier"; a
system specific way to find the DTD in question when the FPI is not in the
local catalog. Since we do have HTML 2.0 in our catalog, the SI would never
get used.

>Apparently W3C used to have one online, but it has been archived to the
>point where I can't get Google to find it.

All the DTD supported by the W3C HTML Validation Service can be found in
<URL:http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib/>.

--
"I don't want to learn to manage my anger;
 I want to FRANCHISE it!" -- Kevin Martin