Re: Validator output and standards conformance

On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 16:14, Olle Olsson wrote:

> Just for fun, I asked the HTML-validator to validate the document
> returned by the HTML validator (sort of applying it to itself).
>
> I got some error messages, and at least some of them can be regarded as
> caused by the designers/implementors of the validation service.

[...]

> This is from an ordinary user's point of view a mere curiosity, but from
> the point of view of whether W3C lives up to its own standards, it can
> be regarded as an embarrasing deficiency.

Yes, these are known bugs, and AFAIK, are/will be fixed Soon(tm). [1]

> Whether these problems will be repaired can be of interest, as I am
> presently dissecting the page by software to extract some information
> from it. If the HTML structure of the validators output is  changed,
> then I have to change my software. No big deal, as  long as I know
> if/when it is going to happen.

It is going to change in the next version.  You can get a feel what it
might be like by trying out http://validator.w3.org:8001/
Things are still very much likely to change as the 8001-version has
alpha status.

[1] http://validator.w3.org:8001/todo.html item #29

--
Ville Skyttä