Re: [BUG] style attribute without specifying CSS

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:53:14 +0200
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
cc: www-validator@w3.org, www-validator-css@w3.org
Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:

>I have found something, maybe already known, The HTML validator and the
>CSS validator can't detect this file is wrong :
>
>http://www.la-grange.net/2002/04/03-styleatt-wo-meta
>
>This file has a style attribute style="color: green; border: solid red;"
>but no metaname specifying the default stylesheet language. So by
>definition, the file is not a valid one :

And, regrettably, we cannot check for this. This is another one of those
limitations that exist only in the prose and cannot be expressed in a
Document Type Declaration. I'm not even sure you can coerce a XML Schema
Processor to check for this. Any form of "lint" -- as possibly the CSS
Validator can be said to be -- should be able to do it though. It would
aslo be a good check to implement for third party tools, such as editors
and publishing systems, to implement.

--
As a cat owner, I know this for a fact... Nothing says "I love you" like a
decapitated gopher on your front porch.