No Character Encoding detected!

From: <grandane@grandane.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 00:01:30 -0300
To: www-validator@w3.org
I am receiving the above message on otherwise error free document, have
visited the "further explanation" pages, have tried adding the
recommended meta tag to my meta tags for the HTML option, that didn't
work, have tried adding the recommendation to my Doc Type under the HTTP
option and when added that didn't work.  Could someone PLEASE tell me
what the heck I am supposed to use and _where_ - have tried just about
everything offered.

Pat Greenfield