Re: w3validator and various sgml parsers

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 01:34:02 +0200
To: bill milbratz <milbratz@neodesic.com>
cc: www-validator@w3.org
On 14.09.01 at 14:30, Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, bill milbratz wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in running a local copy of the w3c html validator.
>>
>> I note that the instructions mention compiling the SP SGML Parsers. My
>> efforts here have not succeeded (I don't know enough about adapting the
>> makefile to my environment--Redhat Linux 7.1).
>
>lq-sp 1.3.4.6 should compile without touching the makefile on Red Hat 6.x
>or 7.x.
>
>http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/src/lq-sp-1.3.4.6.tar.gz
>
>Versions prior to 1.3.4.6 didn't compile with Red Hat 7's gcc 2.96.

In addition, you can use OpenSP 1.5pre5 from the OpenJade project with no
problem (it uses autoconf and includes fixes specificaly for the stricter
GCC in Red Hat > 7.0). We are using lq-nsgmls on v.w3.org and OpenSP for
some experimental XML formats so both should be fine. At most you'll lose
the "(explanation...)" links in validation results as this aspect of our
code isn't very robust.