Re: MSIE 3.0 HTML

From: Chris Garaffa <aquax@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:45:36 -0400
To: Arthur Gouveia <arthurgouveia@yahoo.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
I think it's great that you validated your page against a DTD, but now,
that page seems as if it will only work in IE 3 (granted I  know nothing
about the MSIE 3.0 DTD). Besides the age of the browser, wouldn't
validating as HTML 3 work better? Then your page would work pretty much
everywhere.
The reason I respond to the list as well is because of the thread from a
while back (last message on Aug 22) "Shaming compaines into improving
their HTML"
While I'm not wanting to shame Arthur, I feel this could be a good
example to use. Instead of using browser-specific tags that don't comply
with a DTD, using no DTD at all, or using a browser-specific DTD, more
pages should be created to be compatible with HTML 4.01 or XHTML DTDs .
Maybe off-topic, maybe the start of a discussion.

Chris Garaffa