Re: Validator goofs on missing '

From: Masayasu Ishikawa (mimasa@w3.org)
Date: Fri, Oct 05 2001

    Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 11:22:42 +0900 (JST)
    From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
    To: akkersdi@hio.hen.nl
    Cc: www-validator@w3.org
    Subject: Re: Validator goofs on missing '

    Ron Akkersdijk <akkersdi@hio.hen.nl> wrote:

    > While checking various HMTL webpages made by
    > our students I discovered what I think is a bug.
    > The validator does not complain when a '>'
    > is missing, see for instance the html code
    > below, where the final ">" is missing from "</body"

    This is not a bug.  The SGML declaration of HTML 4 [1] says
    "SHORTTAG YES", which allows shorthand markup like </body</html>.
    As noted in "Appendix B.3.7 Shorthand markup" of HTML 4 [2], such
    construct is unlikely to work with many existing HTML tools, though.

    XML doesn't allow this kind of shorthand markup, hence it's not
    allowed in XHTML.

    [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/sgmldecl.html
    [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.7

    Regards,