Re: Validator goofs on missing '

From: Masayasu Ishikawa (
Date: Fri, Oct 05 2001

    Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 11:22:42 +0900 (JST)
    From: Masayasu Ishikawa <>
    Subject: Re: Validator goofs on missing '
    Ron Akkersdijk <> wrote:
    > While checking various HMTL webpages made by
    > our students I discovered what I think is a bug.
    > The validator does not complain when a '>'
    > is missing, see for instance the html code
    > below, where the final ">" is missing from "</body"
    This is not a bug.  The SGML declaration of HTML 4 [1] says
    "SHORTTAG YES", which allows shorthand markup like </body</html>.
    As noted in "Appendix B.3.7 Shorthand markup" of HTML 4 [2], such
    construct is unlikely to work with many existing HTML tools, though.
    XML doesn't allow this kind of shorthand markup, hence it's not
    allowed in XHTML.
    Masayasu Ishikawa /
    W3C - World Wide Web Consortium