Re: Irritating feature in Validator

No idea what you are speaking about.

I just validated http://www.evertype.com/alphabets/index.html,
without problems, and the source *has* line numbers.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.evertype.com%2Falphabets%
2Findex.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+automatica
lly%29&ss=

  97: <li>The version number of the repertoire is given. The base version
was Version 1.0. When comments are received for a particular language and
any change to the repertoire made (including notation of the approval of an
authoritative source), the version number is increased to 1.1, 1.2, etc.

  98: <li>The repertoire itself is given. The repertoire is given, in an
alphabetical order as found in the sources, and includes digraphs,
trigraphs, or tetragraphs used as "letters" for alphabetizing, when a
language is subject to this practice. <blockquote>Example: In <a
HREF="cy.pdf">Welsh</a>, the order "A, B, C, CH, D..." indicates that, in
the sources, all words beginning with CH follow all words beginning with CY
and precede words beginning with DA (<i>afon, blwyddyn, ca^n, cyngres,
repertoires are important. Commas separate letters of the alphabet
considered unique at the first level of alphabetic ordering.

Regards,   Martin.