Unhelpful error message on duplicate META tag

From: Michæl Rolfe <mumble@mweb.co.za>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 17:29:07 +0200
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
While attempting to validate a page, (under <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">) that accidentally had both the following tags in the <HEAD> section:

I received the following error message:

Sorry! A fatal error occurred when attempting to transcode the character encoding of the document. Either we do not support this character encoding yet, or you have specified a non-existent character encoding (often a misspelling).

The detected character encoding was "http".

The error was "".

If you believe the character encoding to be valid you can submit a request for that character encoding (see the feedback page for details) and we will look into supporting it in the future.

This error message was not helpful in tracking the error and I would be pleased if the validator became smarter at detecting duplicate tags at, say, a pre-processor stage.

[ Michael Rolfe                  mailto:mumble@mweb.co.za ]
"Beati sunt qui nil expectant, quod non disappointabuntur."