Re: How do I make this RDF validate?

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:36:28 +0100
To: "Peter K. Sheerin" <pete@petesguide.com>
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
> and it seems that I must be missing a declaration
> somewhere?

Kinda. Basically, the (X)HTML specifications developed by the W3C do not
allow for RDF to be used inside any form of XHTML recommended to date.
Considering that RDF is essentially a data-oriented format and XHTML a
document-oriented format, this is a sensible approach. Putting XML RDF into
an XHTML document is worthless because:-

a) XHTML already has methods with which to embed metadata, namely the
b) I'd be suprised if there were any processors around that actually did
anything with embedded RDF

So I suggest that you either use the metdata constructs that XHTML (and
indeed, HTML) already contains, or possibly do a worthless extension of
XHTML using XHTML m12n [1], thus enabling a canonical form of RDF to be
embedded (I've actually prepared XHTML modules for this purpose, but not
implemented them).

Here's some background reading:-

- HyperRDF: Using XHTML Authoring Tools with XSLT to produce RDF Schemas

- RDF-In-XHTML; A "New" Approach

- Meta data profiles, HTML 4.01

- Threads From RDF IG, April 2001

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization