Re: My validator patches

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 14:20, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> I sent my patches for validator a month ago, to the list; has anyone had a
> look at them? At least as of now, none of them has made it into the CVS.
> See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2001OctDec/0022.html

Yeah, I did take a look at them when you first sent them and they look
great. There are a couple of little things that needs tweaking and
discussion, but mostly just small stuff.

I'm sorry I've been so lame about replying to email lately. Owing to
circumstances to convoluted to go into here, I'm severely, uhm, "email
challenged" these days. This is _not_ the normal turnover time for
replying to email on this list!

As for why the patches haven't been applied, it's partially that some of
them need a little discussion first and partially that I'm in the middle
of a moderately large restructuring of the code that is sucking up all
my available time for Validator work.

Please don't think the patches aren't appreciated! We really do
appreciate you taking the time to do this, and once things are back to
normal we hope supplying such patches won't be quite as frustrating an
experience.

> Anyway, I've done some small modifications to them (mainly to keep them
> compatible with the current CVS version), the new versions can be found at
> http://cachalot.ods.org/patches/w3c-validator-1.194/

Thanks.

> There's also a RedHat 7.2 RPM of validator at http://cachalot.ods.org/
> which is a work in progress, but basically works. It installs to port 81
> of the local Apache (because validator nowadays is not relocatable and
> must reside in a server/virtual host's root). The above patches are in the
> RPM.

Hmm, I've been meaning to look into making Validator RPMs. Maybe this
would make it easier to see exactly what we need to change to make the
packaging more sane. I'll try to make time to look at it some time soon.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to do this!