Re: Irritating feature in Validator

In a message dated 10/30/01 2:50:58 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
everson@evertype.com writes:

> When detecting a UTF-8 error, the following message only is displayed:
>
>  "Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 98 it
>  contained some byte(s) that I cannot interpret as utf-8. Please check
>  both the content of the file and the character encoding indication."
>
>  Well, it isn't easy to figure out where line 98 is, and what the
>  problem is, because the source isn't displayed with the line numbers.
>  Can you fix this, Gerald, or whoever?

My implementation displays the source with line numbers.

Incidentally, one reason for this error is sloppy copying/pasting of
tags/information when hand coding -- e.g., If you inadvertently include a
trailing space with the copy. The fix is easy -- delete the discrepant line
entirely and recopy the tag/information cleanly.

James Pickering
Tucson, Arizona

Brazilian Cacti in Cultivation ..... http://www.brazilcacticult.org/
Tools for Web Page Authors ..... http://www.brazilcacticult.org/wf.htm
Practical Italic Writing ..... http://www.brazilcacticult.org/corsiva.htm

~ W3C Validated XHTML 1.1 & CSS (Unicode UTF-8)
~ Accessible to People with Disabilities