Re: Charset Trouble

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 08:25:06 +0200
To: "Parker D. Smith" <uselessness@yahoo.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
On 10.05.01 at 22:48, Parker D. Smith <uselessness@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I like to use the W3C HTML validator to check web
>pages that I write on my Macintosh computer, but it
>stopped recognizing my charset for some reason.

We have recently replaced the way we do charset decoding and this is very
likely what made it stop recognizing your charset.

>This is the x-mac-roman charset, a very common one on computers of this
>type.

MacRoman bears many similarities to ISO Latin 1; perhaps you could use
"ISO-8859-1" encoding for your documents? Alternately, you could restrict
yourself to plain US-ASCII and use character entity references (&#2880;) to
get the glyphs you want. Any decent text editor for web work will assist
you in this. For Mac OS I'd reccomend BBEdit from Bare Bones Software; a
truly outstanding tool and irreplaceable for anyone doing web work or
programming on Mac OS! <URL:http://www.barebones.com/>.

>I do not know how to change the charset to make it more agreeable with the
>validator program, but there was a message on the error page that
>suggested I send a message to this list and ask that it be expanded to
>include this charset.
>
>So this is what I am doing. I would like x-mac-roman charset support in
>future versions of the www-validator.

It's unlikely that we will add support for X-Mac-Roman, but you should be
able to achieve your goal without it. If you run into trouble with the
conversion you could try asking for advice on
<URL:news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html> or one of the many
mailinglists devoted to the topic.