Re: Shaming compaines into improving their HTML

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> At 04:33 PM 5/24/2001 , Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> >* Kynn Bartlett wrote:
> > >Why does anyone think that embarrassment is going to produce any
> > >changes?
> >It's a matter of fact.
>
> It is?
>
> >The Macintosh web browser iCab
> >(http://www.iCab.de/) has a little smiley that is green
> >and happy if the page contains no errors and indicates
> >by looking sad or whatever if the page has some or many
> >errors. I've come across a lot of Macintosh web developers
> >who suddenly care for valid HTML; they want that smiley.
>
> A very niche audience, a very niche browser; iCab is not having a
> revolutionary effect on the world, your anecdotal evidence aside.
> (Which I dispute anyway, but being anecdotal, it's indisputable by
> definition.)

lynx will complain 'bad HTML!'

Netscape will show some really bad errors as coloured text in View
Source; if it had a more visual indication without requiring viewing
source, the world would be a better place.

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>