Validating HTML 4.01 Strict with an embedded Java Applet?

From: Carole A. Gay <carole@designs.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:21:51 -0700
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
Hi Terje and all,

I have a student who has posed this question, and I honestly don't know how to answer it.  I've copied the question, here.

I have this nifty java applet in the
page (the wavy water). The only problem is, it doesn't validate. The button
links and the wavy water use the EMBED tag, which I found I could
substitute the OBJECT tag without breaking it. But when I started trying to
remove some of the other attributes that don't validate, it started
breaking down. I got this applet from another web site. It works fine, I
didn't have to fix it to make it work. However, it doesn't validate. Bobby
and CSS validate just fine, but not Strict HTML. So what do I do? I want
the water and the nifty buttons.

The URL for this page is :

Carole Gay

HTML Writers Guild Online Education Instructor, HTML and Design Concepts
Director, HTML Writers Guild Gutenberg Project