Re: checklink stalled

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:33:42 +0100 (BST)
To: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
cc: Stefania Manzi <manzi@sns.it>, www-validator@w3.org
> What can happen though is that when a server is unreachable, the
> program might wait undefinitely until the TCP connection is open and
> ignore the timeout for some reason. It is apparently a bug in
> IO::Socket earlier than version 1.20 on Linux.

There is a simple workaround for that one: route outgoing connections
through a proxy, and set a short timeout.  So long as the proxy itself
is reliably reachable, all timeouts will then work smoothly.

> I need to upgrade the module, but I think that we would need to switch
> to Perl 5.6 for that, so it would require some tests.

I don't *think* Perl 5.6 actually makes any difference here.  Unless
we're talking about altogether different timeout conditions.

--
Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>