RE: iso-8859-1-Windows-3.1-Latin-1

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@asu.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 18:07:16 -0700
To: "'Terje Bless'" <link@tss.no>
Cc: "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>, "'Liam Quinn'" <liam@htmlhelp.com>, "'gerald et al.'" <www-validator@w3.org>

Thanks for the clarifications.  On those lines, you wrote:

> Also please note that this no longer applies in quite the same way when
> move to X(HT)ML.

What changes, other than that the charset (i.e., encoding) defaults to UTF-8
vice ISO-8859-1?  Could you still use raw 8-bit Windows-1252 declared as
such (in both your XML declaration and a <meta http-equiv>)?

RE: WCAG you wrote:

> I don't really see why the WCAG would say that [not to use Windows-1252]
as use of
> native charsets for the authoring or hosting platform are the expected
mode of
> operation.

I don't think it violates the letter of any of the checkpoints, but it seems
to go against the ideas of graceful transformation and platform
nondependance, which underpin much of WCAG.  That's a bit O/T for the
validator list, though.

Thanasis Kinias
Information Dissemination Team, Information Technology
Arizona State University
Tempe, Ariz., U.S.A.

Qui nos rodunt confundantur
et cum iustis non scribantur.