RE: Bug in W3C HTML validator

On Monday, March 19, 2001 at 08:19, gilkison@one.net (Brian Gilkison) wrote:

> I don't think this is necessarily invalid, but rather a limitation of the
> HTML spec itself?  The 'Color' entity in the DTD is defined as CDATA, and I
> don't think it could be required to include the "#" the way the spec is
> currently defined (http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/loosedtd.html#Color)

While "Color" is defined as CDATA, it has additional restrictions
defined in the comment. That the validator doesn't handle this is not an
error in the validator but simply a limitation of strict DTD based
validation.

> How, pray tell, did you come up with these errors?

These were generated by BBEdit's "syntax checker". While not a DTD based
validator, it is based on rules derived from the W3C DTD's with
additional symatics to deal with checking content of attribute values.

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com
PGP Fingerprint  -  60E5 2216 97D2 1D1A B923 F036 00A9 CEC0 D411 FA89