RE: Bug in W3C HTML validator

From: Brian Gilkison <gilkison@one.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:19:51 -0500
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
> > File "untitled 2"; Line 51:  Value of attribute ³width² for element
> > ³<td>² must be a number.
>
> (caused by a space prepending the value, is this really an error?)

Not according to http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-cdata: "User
agents may ignore leading and trailing white space in CDATA attribute values
(e.g., "   myval   " may be interpreted as "myval"). Authors should not
declare attribute values with leading or trailing white space."  There's a
'may' and a 'should' in there, so spacing seems to be not explicitly
DIS-allowed.

> > File "untitled 2"; Line 102:  Value of attribute ³bgcolor² for element
> > ³<td>² is invalid; Value isn't hex color spec or predefined color.
>
> (caused by missing #)

I don't think this is necessarily invalid, but rather a limitation of the
HTML spec itself?  The 'Color' entity in the DTD is defined as CDATA, and I
don't think it could be required to include the "#" the way the spec is
currently defined (http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/loosedtd.html#Color)

How, pray tell, did you come up with these errors?  (I have no ideas about
your first error, RE: META content)