Sixteen Bit Fonts

From: '' <brewhaha@home.ecn.ab.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:45:59 -0500 (EST)
To: www-validator@w3.org
	Let's hav some backward compatibility. I don't really know why
anyone supports 16bit fonts like UTF-8: Mixed language documents just
aren't that common and 8bit fonts in PostScript or PDF will do the same
thing.

	The validator seems to be insisting that I receive UTF-8, and Lynx
doesn't support it (can't support it without terminal software), so it
asks me to download documents from the validator (AltaVista's dijital
translator is just as arrogant). I hav iso-8859-1 selected in Lynx as my
preferred character set (font). The validator doesn't ask for that
information before delivering text/html;charset=utf-8.

	Perhaps a button on the validator's form should allow you to
request "ISO Latin One" or *the server should ask*. How about we leave
slack backward compatibility for Mr. Gates?