Re: Character set question

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:17:19 +0000 (GMT)
To: Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow@chello.se>
cc: www-validator@w3.org, Mario Lia <antilyrical@spamcop.net>

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Bertilo Wennergren wrote:

> > What is buggy in Netscape 4 ??
>
> It can't show Unicode characters outside of the current character
> encoding. So you'll have to turn on utf-8 (or utf-7) to make Netscape
> realise it can show such characters.

Charset encoding is something on which I am basically ignorant.

But it occurs to me that charset support is properly a function of the
operating system, not of an application such as Netscape.  Indeed,
whenever I install an OS[1] or compile a kernel, *I* select what charsets
I want it to support.  Why should Netscape re-invent that wheel?

Or are you saying Netscape can't use the charsets you do have on your OS?
And if so, is that a setup issue (as with fonts, where it needs a
fontpath to work) or a genuine bug?

[1] Unless I select a preconfigured option.

--
Nick Kew

Is your site a lawsuit waiting to happen?
See <URL:http://valet.webthing.com/intranet/> before it's too late.