Re: FPI and URI for dtd

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Karl Dubost wrote:

> SGML gurus,

Are there any on this list?

> I'm in the process of starting of set of documents to build a test
> suite for HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 and I have detected something that
> seems to NOT be a problem for the HTML validator. :)

> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/foo.dtd">

This situation has been discussed (at least in passing) on ciwah.

The issue is of course that the validator, on encountering an
FPI that can be resolved internally, ignores the external DTD.

AFAIK, this is correct behaviour.  Any change would therefore be
incorrect in the context of validation.  It should be introduced
only in the context of a decision to offer optional extra checks,
as in the Page Valet.

--
Nick Kew

Is your site a lawsuit waiting to happen?
See <URL:http://valet.webthing.com/intranet/> before it's too late.