Re: Any C++ programmers around? (was: Unix --> NT (source code stuff))

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Terje Bless wrote:

> [ Mostly off-topic for openjade-devel, but I'm CCing since I     ]
> [ mention OpenJade/OpenSP <URL:http://openjade.sourceforge.net/> ]

[ for the benefit of anyone who doesn't know, I have created a Web
  version of SP.  I wasn't aware of OpenSP when I started that work,
  so it's based on sp-1.3.4.  Feeding my work into OpenSP is a goal
  for when I can find the time.
]

> Actually, the biggest help, if you or Michael can find the time, would
> probably be contributing to the OpenJade project in the OpenSP area. I'm a
> bit fuzzy on what Gerald had to say about it, but AFAICT, OpenSP is the
> only sane choice for the future. If it had your Redirect patch applied I'd
> have started pushing for adopting that as soon as OpenSP 1.5 is final (it's
> in pre5 right now).

The HTTP patches (both Liam's and mine) are confined to a single
source file "URLStorage.cxx".  With a bit of luck, they can be simply
dropped into OpenSP.

> * Output redirection.
>   -- Right now we're doing some gnarly shell redirects to get output where
>      we want it. Being able to use command line switches to put it in a
>      file would be much preferable.

That's something I've already tackled for Code Valet.  It should be
straightforward to make it configurable from the commandline.
But it has proved a little tricky, and has bitten me more than once.

> * Specify all environment stuff on the command line.
>   -- Right now we're setting SP_ENCODING et al in the environment; this
>      is messy and falls apart in mod_perl land.

nsgmls from mod_perl??? Rather you than me!
But again, I've had to do that to run it from the Web, so a commandline
variant should be equally straightforward (though a hack).

> * Ability to say: "use this SGML Declaration and this DTD".
>   -- SGML Open Catalogs are fine and dandy an all, but for some things it
>      would be much less painfull to say "use this" on the command line.

I'd like to, but that'll be a longer-term thing.  I'd like it still better
if someone with a much deeper knowledge of SGML than mine looked at it.

> * Blue Sky: A Perl (XS) Module Interface

I don't see myself getting involved with that.  If I'm hacking SP,
that's because I don't want to wrap it in something else - like Perl.

> * Blue Sky: Configurable Error Format
>   -- The error messages are an exception for most SGML Processors, but
>      for the Validator they are the norm. Being able to play tricks with
>      the format and fields of the error output would be usefull. Reporting
>      context a bonus!

I've looked at that a little, and I've implemented a compile-time option
to switch between JJC's format and HTML-ised format for Code Valet.
I'll be doing some more work in this field in due course.

--
Nick Kew

Is your site a lawsuit waiting to happen?
See <URL:http://valet.webthing.com/intranet/> before it's too late.