Re: Icons for XHTML1.1

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Nick Kew wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, hunter wrote:
>
> > As stated on WDG's website...
>
> Some years ago: things may have changed since then[1].

They haven't changed.

> > "Unlike other validators, the WDG HTML Validator uses a special SGML
> > declaration with custom DTDs. The result is that many custom DTDs,
> > especially those built from the HTML 4.0 Transitional DTD, work
> > correctly with the WDG HTML Validator but not other validators..."
>
> What that means is that Liam has increased some of the builtin system
> limits in the SGML declaration.

Yes, and the modified SGML declaration is only used when the DTD isn't
known.  For HTML 4.01, HTML 3.2, XHTML 1.1, etc., the SGML declaration
given in the W3C Recommendation is used (possibly tweaked for SP's 16-bit
character limitation).

> Where this is relevant is when
> certain elements have gazillions of proprietary attributes, as can
> happen when someone takes the already-bloated HTML4-loose DTD and
> extends it to allow their favourite hacks.

If you add a couple new block or inline elements to HTML4-loose.dtd, you
hit a GRPCNT limit imposed by the HTML4.dcl SGML declaration.  So I upped
the limit for HTML/SGML documents whose DOCTYPE isn't known.

> It would very definitely not affect an XHTML 1.1 document.

Right.

--
Liam Quinn