Help with decoding error messages?

From: Ed Tittel <etittel@lanw.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:39:39 -0500
To: <www-validator@w3.org>, <gerald@w3.org>
Folks (and the esteemed Mr.Oskoboiny:
  I write copiously and regularly on HTML and XHTML for more low-
tech members of the Web community. One of the biggest challenges in
encouraging such people to use the validator is that they're almost
all inexperienced in reading parser- or compiler-style error messages,
and in using that information to figure out exactly what changes or
repairs should be made to their documents.
  Of course, HTML Tidy (and related toolkits) go a long way to helping
out with such things, but I'm wondering if anybody can point me to
resources on the following:
(a) a complete list of validator error messages
(b) guidelines on how to read and interpret the validator's output
I'm not expecting to find anything terribly user friendly (I figure I
can handle that part) but I have been unable to come up with any
comprehensive or terribly detailed on this subject.
  Any suggestions, ideas, or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Ed Tittel    2207 Klattenhoff Dr, Austin, TX  78728-5480
LANWrights, Inc:  a wholly-owned subsidiary of iLearning
phone:512-252-7497   fax:512-252-8439   mbl:512-422-7943
Visit Web sites at  www.lanw.com  and  www.ilearning.com