Help with decoding error messages?

From: Ed Tittel <etittel@lanw.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:39:39 -0500
To: <www-validator@w3.org>, <gerald@w3.org>
Folks (and the esteemed Mr.Oskoboiny:
  I write copiously and regularly on HTML and XHTML for more low-
tech members of the Web community. One of the biggest challenges in
encouraging such people to use the validator is that they're almost
all inexperienced in reading parser- or compiler-style error messages,
and in using that information to figure out exactly what changes or
repairs should be made to their documents.
  Of course, HTML Tidy (and related toolkits) go a long way to helping
out with such things, but I'm wondering if anybody can point me to
resources on the following:
(a) a complete list of validator error messages
(b) guidelines on how to read and interpret the validator's output
I'm not expecting to find anything terribly user friendly (I figure I
can handle that part) but I have been unable to come up with any
comprehensive or terribly detailed on this subject.
  Any suggestions, ideas, or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
  --Ed--

Ed Tittel    2207 Klattenhoff Dr, Austin, TX  78728-5480
LANWrights, Inc:  a wholly-owned subsidiary of iLearning
phone:512-252-7497   fax:512-252-8439   mbl:512-422-7943
Visit Web sites at  www.lanw.com  and  www.ilearning.com