Re: Flagging & in URL in HTML 4.01 transitional type.

From: Lloyd Wood <l.wood@eim.surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:09:12 +0100 (BST)
To: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
cc: mike@minivend.com, Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>, www-validator@w3.org
On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Terje Bless wrote:

> On 08.06.01 at 23:57, Mike Heins <mheins@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >[...] Yet why do we have an HTML 4.01 transitional spec, and an HTML 4.01
> >strict spec?
>
> For the same reason that a C compiler has a "-ansi" or "-posix" switch. The
> "-pedantic" or "-Wall" switch is a bit different.

real programmers will be the first against gcc -Wall when the
revolution comes.

> ...the Validator can do nought but enforce the specification as it exists.
> The proper way to deal with this is to get in touch with the HTML Working
> Group at the W3C and raise the issue there.

...waving your corporate membership of the W3C as you do.

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/HTML-WG/

it's been closed since 1996. Which explains a _lot_.

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Activity

warbles on about all that xhtml junk; I doubt anyone still cares about
HTML per se.

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>