Re: Producing an XML report from the validator

From: Christian Smith <csmith@barebones.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:38:52 -0400
To: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
cc: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>, Esmond Walshe <esmond.walshe@eeng.dcu.ie>, www-validator@w3.org
On Monday, June 18, 2001 at 1:39 AM, link@tss.no (Terje Bless) wrote:

> Right. We can't guarantee a lossless roundtrip to ISO 10646[0] so every
> offset -- be it byte or character -- would need to be in terms of the UTF-8
> encoded ISO 10646 version of the file. How would that affect your Error
> Browser Chris?

Dealing with byte offsets would be nearly impossible. as long as I get
back a character offset everything should be fine.

> Could we perhaps convert to Normalization Form C[2] and report Unicode
> character offsets (or even bytes if it's easier) from beginning of file?

I don't see how the character offset is going to be any different between
UTF-8 and UTF-16. Byte based offsets would be different but character
offsets should be the same.

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com

He who dies with the most friends... Is still dead!