Re: Flagging & in URL in HTML 4.01 transitional type.

From: Jim Correia <correia@barebones.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:52:09 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
On 12:11 PM 6/8/01 Mike Heins <mheins@redhat.com> wrote:

> I just went to a bunch ofunnecessary work -- due to the W3 validation
> suite flagging unencoded '&' in a URL for the HTML 4.01 transitional
> type.
> Since every browser in the world must tolerate &, my opinion is that
> this is an artificially created tempest in a teapot, created by the
> failure of the validation suite writer to provide a "pedantic" mode.
> Or the failure of the specification writers to create an exception
> for this in the transitional type.

It is not.  You must encode &, otherwise

can be interpreted as the copyright symbol, which is not what you
intended.  Encoding the ampersand will work, so just do it.

Jim Correia                                Bare Bones Software, Inc.
correia@barebones.com                     <http://web.barebones.com>