Re: [www-validator] <none>

On 13.09.01 at 17:13, Todd M. Curtis <Jezter74@snet.net> wrote:

>The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (UDP Port 33492)
> from validator.w3.org (18.29.1.50) (UDP Port 64446).
>[...]
>The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (UDP Port 33524)
> from validator.w3.org (18.29.1.50) (UDP Port 64446).
>
>i skipped the other 30 tries inbetween . wanna explain?

Not particularly, no. :-)

Those port numbers are in the Unregistered and Dynamic range. I can't find
what services use those numbers, but a good guess would be DNS. I would
venture to guess that you or someone else has used one of the services on
that host to look up your machine and so generated some DNS traffic.

In any case I wouldn't worry about it if I were you; home "firewall"
software often generate spurious "alerts" about perfectly legitimate
activity. Unless the activity is persistent over time, or changes in nature
to something less benign, I'd suggest you just ignore it or contact the
vendor of your "firewall" software.

Of course, should you find the activity to persist or notice any actual
effect connected to it, please do let us know! Meanwhile I'll continue to
look into this and try to find out exactly what is using those port
numbers; if for no other reason, then at the very least to make sure our
own security has not been compromized.