Re: External submissions for Validator service

From: Gerald Oskoboiny (gerald@w3.org)
Date: Wed, Sep 05 2001

    Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 01:02:20 -0400
    From: Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@w3.org>
    To: Alex Vincent <jscript@pacbell.net>
    Cc: www-validator@w3.org
    Subject: Re: External submissions for Validator service

    On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 06:49:17PM -0400, Alex Vincent wrote:
    > I'm building a website to assist people in creating webpages which
    > follow "best practices" -- XHTML, object-oriented programming, etc.  I
    > like your HTML Validation service a lot, and I figure "why reinvent the
    > wheel?".  I'd like to be able to submit a form from a webpage I create
    > (and my website fills in) to the W3C HTML Validation service directly.

    That sounds okay to me. A number of other sites are doing this
    already, and some user agents have built-in options to validate
    documents using W3C's validators.

    > I don't want to infringe on W3C copyrights or anything, so the first
    > part of this e-mail is about getting permission in writing to do so,
    > and finding out any conditions the W3C would attach thereto for any
    > webpage submitting to its validator service.

    I can't think of any such conditions, except for common sense
    kinds of things.

    > The second part of this e-mail is about the technical requirements for
    > doing so.  I notice W3C has not yet implemented a textarea-based upload
    > form (wishlist!!!), so obviously I would have to fill in the
    > appropriate URI myself.  (My site is designed to do this, among other
    > things.)  I have just looked over the source code for the submission
    > page (http://validator.w3.org ), and I do not see any hidden data
    > fields in the source.  Nonetheless, I would like to know if there would
    > be any special fields or field names I need to include for a "custom"
    > validation submit page --

    No...

    > and if the Validator would safely ignore
    > extraneous form fields submitted.  (It would not be terribly difficult
    > to build a strictly compliant form.  I'd just like to see what kind of
    > flexibility I have.)

    Why would you be sending extra form fields? It currently ignores
    any unknown fields, but may not do that forever. (and specific
    fields that are unknown today may become known tomorrow.)

    --
    Gerald Oskoboiny     http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/
    tel:+1-613-261-6630             mailto:gerald@w3.org