Problems with TRs on WebTV? (was: meta question)

[ Message sent to W3C Web Human with CC to original recipients  ]
[ Since I don't have any solid info on what the problem is or   ]
[ how to work around it, this is more in the nature of a "FYI". ]

On 19.08.01 at 12:54, Seething <Seething13@webtv.net> wrote:

>This page: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html
>along with quite a few other pages on the w3 website, are unviewabe by
>webtv. We only see the right half of the page. (and most of the info seems
>to most likely be on the left hand side of the page, since all I see is a
>few lines of text and then HUGE blank spaces) Our browser window is set to
>540 pixels wide, any site that uses more than that in a non-percentage
>form, can't be completely viewed by webtv. Maybe THIS explains why so many
>webtv built websites are not up to standard.....the website that makes the
>standards can't be seen by webtv users! (no, there is no way to adjust it
>either)

As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with that page -- and it
displays just fine in the plethora of browsers I tested -- so this is most
likely a problem with the WebTV browser. I don't suppose there is any
option to turn off CSS alltogether in WebTV?

I know WebTV is getting the benefit of attention from the Microsoft browser
team, but until any such magic updates appear, perhaps there is some
workaround that could be employed to allow WebTV users access to these
pages? If you go to <URL:http://help.webtv.net/surfing/reportsite.html>,
you can report that link to the WebTV Help Desk (it apparently only works
from a WebTV browser; the irony... ;D). In all likelyhood they've seen the
same problem elsewhere before and can suggest a workaround if one exists.