Re: DTD problem, or validator problem?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann (derhoermi@gmx.net)
Date: Thu, Aug 16 2001

    From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
    To: Matthew Wickline <wickline_m@pcfnotes1.wustl.edu>
    Cc: www-validator@w3.org, Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0005@earth.li>
    Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:04:03 +0200
    Subject: Re: DTD problem, or validator problem?

    * Matthew Wickline wrote:
    >So, in an HTML 4.01 document,
    >
    >    <hr />
    >
    >*should* be interpreted as a horizontal rule element followed by an
    >(improperly) unescaped greater than sign?

    *Must* be interpreted as such and the '>' *doesn't need* to be escaped.

    >In that case, shouldn't the validator be giving an error that I've got
    >unescaped greater than signs in the body of the HTML?

    No. http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ will however _warn_ you,
    that you are using a net-enabled start tag.

    >...or am I still missing something here? Is the escaping of [<>"&] not a
    >part of the DTD, but one of those things which is specified in non-DTD
    >fashion in accompanying text or something, and therefor not something
    >the validator can conveniently address?

    The document type definition (DTD) contains definitions for

      * which elements are available
      * how these elements may/must be nested
      * what attributes they may/must take
      * what attribute values are allowed