Re: DTD problem, or validator problem?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann (
Date: Thu, Aug 16 2001

    From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <>
    To: Matthew Wickline <>
    Cc:, Tim Bagot <>
    Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:04:03 +0200
    Subject: Re: DTD problem, or validator problem?
    * Matthew Wickline wrote:
    >So, in an HTML 4.01 document,
    >    <hr />
    >*should* be interpreted as a horizontal rule element followed by an
    >(improperly) unescaped greater than sign?
    *Must* be interpreted as such and the '>' *doesn't need* to be escaped.
    >In that case, shouldn't the validator be giving an error that I've got
    >unescaped greater than signs in the body of the HTML?
    No. will however _warn_ you,
    that you are using a net-enabled start tag.
    >...or am I still missing something here? Is the escaping of [<>"&] not a
    >part of the DTD, but one of those things which is specified in non-DTD
    >fashion in accompanying text or something, and therefor not something
    >the validator can conveniently address?
    The document type definition (DTD) contains definitions for
      * which elements are available
      * how these elements may/must be nested
      * what attributes they may/must take
      * what attribute values are allowed
      * what entities are available and to
        what they resolve to
    Escaping is part of the syntax.
    Björn Höhrmann { }
    am Badedeich 7 } Telefon: +49(0)4667/981028 {
    25899 Dagebüll { PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 }