Re: validation problem with nested lists

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Robert Latham wrote:

> The following  nested list refuses to validate, with a missing < li> tag
> error message at start of line 6. However if  I delete the </li> tag from
> the end of line 5 it validates fine! Is this me being dim or a bug?

You being dim.

If you're nesting list structures, you need to start the new list
inside a list element of the outer list:

<ul>
    <li>
        <ul>
            <li></li>
        </ul>
    </li>
</ul>

<dl>
    <dt></dt>
    <dd>
        <dl>
            <dd></dd>
        </dl>
    </dd>
</dl>

note how the opening and closing tags alternate...

(I've spent the last few years getting people here to hand-maintain
pages of complex nested list structures that they're responsible for.
It's been hell. I've given up on the idea of <p></p> as just too
tricky to ever get across.)

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>