Re: Guide to wrap needed

In article news:3b69e90e$0$20962$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au ,
"Brucie" <no_one_is_@home.com> wrote:

> IIRC i pointed out that the page didn't have a charset (the validator
> didn't report one and i didn't look at the actual page to check)
> however the page actually did have a charset but it was line wrapped.
> i suggested un-line wrapping it and the validator then recognised it
> without a problem.

Oh my... You're right.

I used the "validate via file upload" facility at
http://validator.w3.org/file-upload.html
to submit the following document:

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
charset=iso-8859-15">
<title>Demo</title>

The validator says in its report:
  Character encoding: unknown
But when I do the same with the line break removed from the <meta> tag,
or with the line break replaced by a space, it reports:
  Character encoding: iso-8859-15

So apparently the validator does not recognize the information in the
break should be equivalent to a space. I hope this is just because the
validator processes such <meta> tags in some ad hoc way, since the
alternative would be that it has some flaw in its fundamental parsing
routines.

> its a "thingy" with the validator, not the markup.

It looks suspiciously like a bug to me! So I send this message to the www
validator mailing list (see http://validator.w3.org/feedback.html ) too.

--
Yucca, http://www.malibutelecom.com/yucca/
 alias http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/