Re: Suggestion: Check elment first, attribute second

On Wednesday, August 1, 2001 at 11:38 PM, bryce@obviously.com (Bryce
Nesbitt) wrote:

> The validator first checks attributes, then the element.  This means if
> I do something like:
>
> <csobj w="208" h="77" t="Button">
>
> I get a long series of complaints about each attribute ("w", "h", "t")
> before I find that the validator actually does not understand the
> <csobj>.  An improvement would be to check the element FIRST, and give
> just one error message.

This seems quite reasonable. It is pointless to complain about attributes
in an element when the element itself is unknown.

> I've had trouble getting web page authors to use the validator, because
> of issues like this (spurious error messages -- especially because of
> valid Javascript).

In what case is valid javascript causing errors to be reported? Examples?

> A way to be less strict might improve usage.

Being less strict is not the answer. If the tool is useless it doesn't
matter how much it is used. The first item however does not (in my
opinion) make the checker less strict.

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com

He who dies with the most friends... Is still dead!