Re: validating a SITE rather than a page

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, John Russell wrote:

> With over 80 pages interwoven into my site, i find it
> difficult to keep them all validated at once.

That's not entirely sensible as an online operation.  To validate
your site would require 80 http GET requests from the validator to
your site.  That's fine when spread over a decent period, but to
do all at once - while you're sitting at your browser waiting for
a reply - is classic "bad robot" behaviour that puts a strain
on the network.

An alternative solution is offered by my company's Site Valet service,
that checks your site over a period (no more than one page per minute)
and then emails you regular reports.  It now also has the capability
to offer instant online reports from the database (see the Intranet
Edition), which will shortly[1] be offered to all customers.

> large site owners.  The report need not list all errors on
> a page , simply list the pages as ok  or not.   The user
> can than run the validator on individual pages to
> correct problems. This is a common approach for
> link checkers and validation could work the same!

Site Valet service works like that, offering link checking, validation,
and other tools.

[1] But not until the server has had a RAM upgrade :-)

--
Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>