Re: charset parameter

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 00:05:51 +0200
To: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Cc: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
* Terje Bless wrote:
>On 25.07.01 at 04:40, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>>* Terje Bless wrote:
>>>When it comes time to parse the markup, you already have
>>>a charset; the XML/HTML rules do not govern HTTP.
>>
>>They do for conforming applications.
>
>No they don't!

A conforming HTML user agent must adhere to all "must"s in the HTML 4
recommendation. Assuming no default value for the charset parameter is a
must. Applications that do something different, i.e. assuming some
default value or don't check if an explicit charset was given, aren't
conforming user agents.

Please note that I don't comment on how applications should behave, nor
if I like this definition.