Re: Shaming compaines into improving their HTML

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:52:42 +0200
To: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
cc: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>, "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>
On 23.07.01 at 09:24, Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com> wrote:

>One immediate hurdle to overcome would be getting folks like Google to use
>valid HTML as a starting point [1].  IFF they could be sold on the Good
>Thing-ness of valid HTML, such an idea might be workable.
>
><http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.google.com&doctype=HTML+4.01+Transitional>

Wow! I'd have actually expected them to be significantly worse. That's just
a few unquoted attributes, and missing "type" for style and script. My
personal web pages have more errors then that when I first check it after a
redesign! :-)

The upshot being, obviously, that getting them to produce valid HTML won't
necessarily be all that hard of a sell since they're nearly there already.

Are you taking down notes here Karl? :-)