Re: Shaming compaines into improving their HTML

On 23.07.01 at 15:06, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:

>>An idea could be that a search engine like Google, for example, gives
>>information about the validity of the indexed page. On the search
>>results window, you could have a little flag like valid, accessible,
>>etc.
>>
>>But I guess it will certainly require too much CPU time.

>Not really. The indexing is already pretty resource intensive -- though
>probably not CPU bound -- so running it through SP is within limits of
>sanity. Good luck trying to convince them though; cluefull as the Google
>guys are, I sincerely doubt you'll be able to sell this to them... :-(

Ah, probably not for all Google search results but perhaps for the Google
Directory.  They already to page ranks on the listings.  The open directory
currently has 2,741,472 sites.  You could use one box to hit each site and
sample the first few pages for correctness.  Then show incorrect sites with
a little icon (or correct ones with a different one).  This could then be
incorporated into the directory listings.  It could even be added to the
PageRank score that Google uses.

I submitted this idea to Google today.

http://directory.google.com/
http://dmoz.org/