Invalid char refs in (X)HTML (was: Re: Incorrect "catch" of valid data)

On Wednesday 18 July 2001 18:53, Terje Bless wrote:

> BTW, I seem to recall that the conclusion to that thread was that these
> characters are actually invalid in HTML 4, but _valid_ in XHTML (since XML
> 1.0 SE removed the word "graphic" from "any valid graphic character").

They're definitely invalid in HTML 4; the debate (on which there isn't
consensus) is whether they are valid in XHTML 1.  They're not apparently
invalid in XML _en_ _générale_.  However, I believe they are invalid in
XHTML, too.  The SGML declaration for XHTML [1] gives:

         DESCSET
                0       9       UNUSED
                9       2       9
                11      2       UNUSED
                13      1       13
                14      18      UNUSED
                32      95      32
                127     1       UNUSED
                128     32      UNUSED

That means characters 127-159 decimal are invalid, just like in HTML, right?

> Did
> I read that wrong or are we actually failing in _both_ HTML and XHTML?

I think you're OK w.r.t. XHTML.

1. <http://www.w3.org/TR/html/DTD/xhtml1.dcl>

--
Thanasis Kinias