Re: Can src of an iframe be just HTML fragments?

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:00:40 +0200
To: "Peter K. Sheerin" <pete@petesguide.com>
cc: www-validator@w3.org
On 08.06.01 at 15:45, Peter K. Sheerin <pete@petesguide.com> wrote:

>[...] I've got some <iframe> tags in a document that validates. The
>validator never sees the source referenced in these tags, and thus doesn't
>try to validate them.
>
>Shouldn't it, though? [...] The browsers do see this, because they have to
>render it. So do I need to make sure that any file referenced by an
><iframe> is complete HTML that validates [...]?

Well, that depends on what you mean by "should". :-)

It would be very usefull for the Validator to follow links -- both to
validate a whole site and to validate all components of a frameset -- but
this isn't a function of SGML -- it's concept of compund documents is
different -- so "should" in that sense isn't right.

In either case, it's a great idea and I'll put it on the TODO.
Thanks for your feedback on this.